Why Choose The Academy of Driving?

  • We are bonded, licensed by the Department of Motor Vehicles #E4527 and fully insured through State Farm Insurance. All driver training must be approved by the DMV and receive an annual safety check by a licensed inspection agency.

  • Our training is on a one-on-one basis with no other students (piggybacking) in the vehicle. Parents are always welcome to ride along on any of our sessions. At The Academy of Driving your time is focused on your specific needs.

  • You will have the same instructor throughout your training so that he or she is the most familiar with the student’s process and so that the student is most at ease. We begin and end your session at your home and school.

  • The extensive training program can be viewed 24/7 on our website under the Session Syllabus link. Progress updates will be given to the parent or guardian after each driving session. We developed defined drive routes throughout the greater Sacramento area and vicinity areas. We follow a structured curriculum so that each student gets the needed traffic exposure.

  • All driving school vehicles are newer model sedans that have achieved the highest safety ratings from Consumer Reports. They are clean on the outside and inside and regularly maintained. All our vehicles are equipped with a passenger side brake and mirror.

  • There are never any fees to cancel any of your training appointments (not if you are sick, have to attend football practice, need extra sleep, etc.). We are very adaptive and understanding. We believe the more practice time between sessions the better. It is never a problem to reschedule or delay appointments.

  • You never have to sign a contract and pay for all your lessons at once. You just pay as you go. If you want to switch driving schools for whatever the reason, you are more than welcome to, no questions asked. We provide a 100% money back guarantee. The Academy of Driving will honor your request for a refund immediately.

  • Our driving school makes the DMV appointment and takes you to your actual driving test under our AOD Soccer Special. This saves you the time and hassle of waiting in long lines at the DMV, having a vehicle that passes the rigorous safety inspections by the DMV and providing the appropriate paperwork to your appointment.

  • Currently we are accepting cash and check payments for all services rendered. There is no pre-payment due. We collect our school fees after we deliver our service.

If I am a minor, how do I complete Drivers Education to obtain my pink slip?

Complete an accredited course in drivers education through:

        -Our online drivers ed course that can be found on our Drivers Ed Online tab

        -The high school GSR program

        -From a private driving school

  • Remember you must be at least 15 ½ years old to be eligible for the permit.

  • Go to the DMV and take the written test. See FAQ #2 for all that is needed from you before taking the written test. Although no appointments are necessary, it is highly recommend, as it will save you from additional wait times. The appointment number is 1-800-777-0133.

  • Bring the completion slip showing successful completion of the driver’s education course.

  • Pass the DMV multiple-choice written test within 3 attempts.

  • Begin the behind-the-wheel driver training with a licensed instructor and obtain additional practice from a licensed driver over the age of 25.

If I am a minor, how do I apply for a drivers permit?

  • Pick up the required DL 44 form at the DMV. Fill out the entire form in its entirety while waiting for your number to be called. Don’t forget to print out your legal name (i.e. Angela versus Angie, Thomas versus Tom), social security number, address, gender, eye color, height, weight, etc. Wait to sign the form until the DMV agent tells you. Make sure to have both parents or legal guardian sign your application form.


  • You will have to provide your thumbprint and have your picture taken that day. Remember to take an effort and dress your best, as this will be the same picture that will be used on your license.


  • You must successfully pass a vision test with 20/40 or better vision. Don’t forget to wear your prescription glasses or have your contacts in when taking the exam.


  • You must show proof of your birth date and citizenship status. A certified copy of your birth certificate often satisfies this requirement. However, please check the DMV website http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/home/dmv.htmfor other valid forms of identification.


  • Pay the $31 application fee with your ATM/debit card, cash or check. You will not have to pay another fee when you take your driving test.


  • Pass the multiple-choice test regarding current traffic law. See the California Driver Handbook online or ask Maurice for a copy including sample questions.

  • See applicable section below depending on your age group

If I am a minor, how do I apply for a obtain a drivers license?

  • The applicant must be at least 16 years old.

  • He or she must have completed 50 hours of practice time with a licensed adult over the age of 25.

  • What do I need to bring to the DMV driving test?

  • Certificate of Completion form from your driver’s training.

  • Permit signed by your parents or legal guardian along with their driver’s license number.

  • Proof of insurance for the vehicle that you will use on your test. Note: that your name does not need to be on the insurance card.

  • Current registration on the vehicle that you will use on your test.

  • A highly functioning automobile that has these attributes:

  • Working turn signals and brake lights.

  • A functional horn.

  • Crack-free windshield.

  • Front and rear license plates (or temporary form if new or recently purchased).

  • Working driver’s window.

  • Seat belts and secure seats and doors.

  • Free from any potential danger.

  • The applicant must complete 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training with a licensed instructor and receive a valid Certificate of Completion form signed by the instructor.

  • You must have your permit for at least 6 months.

  • Pass the DMV drive test. You must make an appointment beforehand. The DMV has a 35-45 day wait time on their appointments. The appointment number is 1-800-777-0133.

  • ​After signing preliminary paperwork, the DMV examiner will conduct a pre-check of the vehicle. You will be asked to:


  1. Show your hand signals.

  2. Show them operational turn, brake and headlights.

  3. Show them the defroster controls and how to use them.

  4. Show them how to use the windshield wiper control.

  5. Show them the location of the hazard lights.

  6. Sound an operational horn.


  • The DMV examiner will give you clear-cut instructions on the overall test procedure.


  • They will have you drive a designated route, which includes neighborhood driving and driving in traffic.


  • They will test your ability to safely pull to and from a curb and back up in a straight line. Note: parallel parking will not be tested.


  • If you pass your driving test, pat yourself on the back for a job well done. You will immediately receive a temporary paper license, which must be signed. Keep this with you at all times until you receive your plastic driver’s license in the mail. The license will have the same picture that is on your permit.


  • If you did not pass the driving test, do not despair and do not get discouraged. You are allowed to take the exam 3 times. Given the wait times at the DMV, you will probably only have to wait another two weeks before getting retested. There is a $7 fee associated with retaking the driver’s test. In the rare event that you do not pass the test by the third time, your permit will be void and you must re-apply for a new permit, paying the associated $31 fee.

How can I obtain a Real ID when I am getting my license?

To obtain a Real ID at the time of receiving your licese you will need to bring the following documents; 

                 -Identity document (original or certified copy only) and certified legal document 
                  supporting name change, if applicable.

                                -Unexpired U.S. passport or passport card.
                                -Certified copy of birth certificate from a U.S. state or U.S. territory.
                                -U.S. certificate or consular report of birth abroad.
                                -Unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. visa and approved I-94 form.
                                -Certificate of naturalization or citizenship.
                                -Valid, unexpired permanent resident card.
                                -Unexpired employment authorization document (EAD) card (I-766) or 
                                 valid/expired EAD card with Notice of Action (I-797 C) or Approval of Notice (I-797).
                                -Unexpired foreign passport stamped "Processed for I-551"
                 -Proof of Social Security number (full number required, no photocopies)

                                -Social Security card
                                -W-2 Form
                                -SSA-1099 form
                                -Non-SSA-1099 form

                 -Proof of California residency (TWO different documents are required) (copies
                  accepted, printed documents required) Examples include;
                                -Home utility bill (including cellular phone).

                                -Medical documents.

                                -Car or Boat registration.
                                -Employment documents.
                                -Insurance documents.
                                -Bank and Financial Institution records.
                                -Change of address confirmation by the US postal service.
                                -Mortgage bill, rental or lease agreement (signed by owner and tenant).
                                -IRS or California FTB tax return.
                                -Deed or title to residential real porperty, property tax bill or statement, 
                                 original copy of an approved claim for Homeowners' Property Tax Exemption
                                (BOE-266) for filled with a local California County Assessor.
                                -School documents (includes date of birth), proof of payment of resident tuition
                                 at a public institution of higher education in California.
                                -A document issued by a government agengy (local, state or federal)
                                -Faith-based documents, including name and address of organization.

Q: What if I do not have one of the above residency documents?
A: You can use a relative's (parent, child, spouse/domestic partner) residency document if you live at the same address and provide a document (such as a birth certificate or marriage certificate) that shows that relationship.

Q: Use a P.O. Box?
A: Proof of a physical address is required. A P.O. Box can be used as the amiling address to receive your REAL ID, but your residency document must display a PO Box AND physical address. 

Areas we Serve

Antelope - Auburn - Carmichael - Citrus Heights - Elverta - Fair Oaks - Folsom - Granite Bay - Lincoln - Loomis -Newcastle -North Highlands- North Sacramento -Orangevale - Penryn - Rio Linda - Rocklin - Roseville


Socialize With Us

  • Instagram
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest

© 2015 by The Academy of Driving. Proudly created with Wix.com